The demolition of the Soho Manufactory and Mint buildings in the 1860s has left no
trace above ground of any of the parts of the Soho Complex, though the continued
existence of Soho House does, at least, provide a reference point to their location.
George Demidowicz has spent a considerable amount of time and effort over a considerable
number of years researching the site, and has produced a series of plans showing
the layout at various dates in Soho's history.
All this research was put to the test when, in 1996, George Demidowicz invited Time
Team to excavate the expected location of the Mint, and part of this was found under
back gardens in South Road, a later residential street built over the cleared site.
Mr Demidowicz's plan was brought to life in an axonometric visualisation of what
the buildings might actually have looked like. Bremner and Orr, who went on to design
the exhibition at Soho house, added the coloration.
The first part of the site to be developed was the Manufactory, construction taking
place in the mid 1760s.
But, unfortunately for collectors, the Manufactory, which was engraved, painted,
struck and photographed on various occasions during its life, was not the Mint, and
there is much less material available to show what this looked like.
The Soho Manufactory and Soho Mint
Click on the image to download a much larger version: c. 4.2MB
The Soho Manufactory
Click on the image to download a much larger version: c. 2MB
The Mint itself was constructed in 1787 and 1788, and is believed to have produced
its first strikings in the summer of 1789 - the Macclesfield and Cronebane token
sohomint.info would like to thank George Demidowicz for permission to reproduce his
plan of the Soho Complex
The Soho Mint
Click on the image to download a much larger version: c. 800KB